Monday, July 23, 2012

Chitwan and Pokhra

We had such an amazing time in both of these places.  It was so nice to get out of the city and away from the chaos and dust.  We took a 7 hour bus ride from Kathmandu to Chitwan National Park. Our hotel was very nice and we had a great tour guide all weekend.  Everything was all planned out for us so we didn't have to do any work or worry about taking a bus or taxi anywhere.  The first thing we did was go for a walk in the jungle.  Everyday we do something that completely takes me out of my comfort zone.  One being just making it from point A to point B without driving off a cliff. All of the roads are so windy and made of dirt with huge pot holes everywhere.  I am so, so thankful for remembering to get some motion sickness patches before I left.  I would be so miserable every day of this trip if I hadn't.  The next morning the first thing we did was ride elephants throughout the jungle!  It was 4 people to an elephant and you sit in this little basket on top of the elephant.  Wasn't the most comfortable but it was such an amazing experience.  We then got to take the elephants down to the river where they were being bathed.  It was so weird to see elephants lying down on their sides while their owners would scrub them.  We got to ride into the water where they then began to splash water on us with their trunks.  After they tipped us into the water. We had lunch and then got to go on  the river with canoes.  Talk about being out of your comfort zone.  The water was about 2 inches from sinking the boat where we saw crocodiles in the water near the shore.  So scary!  We also saw some monkeys swinging from the trees. No water snakes thankfully!  We got out of the canoe and continued to take another 2 1/2 hour hike.  I was definitely not prepared for this.  I had tennis shoes and shorts on.  This was not a carved out path.  We were seriously walking through the brush and walking through water.  Surprising I did not get any leeches but others did.  We saw a lot of deer, birds and I think the other animal was a sloth.  The next morning we went for another hike where we got to see a rhino!  We got about 10 feet away from it.  We had such a great time.  Where else can you go where elephants walking down the main road as it's no big deal!

We left that day for another 5 hour bus ride to Pokhra.  Pokhra is a much cleaner city that Kathmandu.  It's very touristy and has the most amazing views of the mountains.  The food was also so much better here!!  I finally got to have a salad!!  We went paragliding here which was the scariest thing I have done thus far!  The views from the mountain top was like anything you could ever imagine.  I got to take video during the paragliding of the river and mountains.  So amazing.  Later we took a canoe out in the middle of the water. I could have laid there for hours!!  After, Natalia and got the best massage ever.  It was down an ally in this hole in the wall but it didn't matter.  I have never received a massage like this.  They did a lot of different techniques were they would push and pull and "crack".  I am definitely going to get another one while I am here!!

Today we are leaving for 4 days out to the village.  We are staying with a family and will help tend to the house and farm.  It is going to be so great to learn about their culture.  All I know is that we are going to be knee deep in mud using buffalo to help plow the land!  Should be fun! :)

More to come...thanks for all your comments!! I love and miss you all.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Stacee,
    I am so glad you got to ride an elephant!! Their spines are really hard, aren't they? I can't believe your elephant tipped you into a river. I'm so glad to hear that you had a fantastic weekend and that you're excited about what you'll be doing this week. How are you feeling about coming home - that's later this week, right? I can't wait to see your pictures and talk to you when you get back. What an experience. I'm jealous of all he animals you have seen! Very cool.
    Safe travels,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds amazing!! I can't wait to hear all your stories and see your pictures when you get home-excited to see that video of you paragliding. Miss you. XO. Jenny

    ReplyDelete