Monday, July 16, 2012

Most amazing day!

Yesterday was hands down one of the greatest days of my life.  The day started out by going to Mother Theresa's clinic called, "Sisters of Charity."  This was set near the largest Hindu temple in Nepal.  The walk there was so amazing.  We past many people dressed to show their "holiness."  I can't wait to show you these pictures!!  When we first arrived to the clinic, I literally froze.  We have all seen those commercials where young children are covered with flies and generally we quickly turn the channel because it's too much to bare.  The people at this clinic have severe mental handicaps or deformities.  Some are also just very weak and old.  I walked into the room where the women slept and almost threw up on the spot.  The smell of feces and urine literally made you gag.  I was still frozen at this point but one of the older volunteers who had been all week asked me if I wanted to help bathe and dress the people.  Of course I would help...that's what I was there for but I still didn't know if I would make it!  We had to literally carry the women into the wash room while the others would clean there beds.  After, some would go outside to sit with the others but many were too weak and would go right to bed.  There was one women that I quickly gravitated too.  She was very old and weak but we were able to communicate with eachother through hand gestures.  Many of the people love to get massaged...they really just need a loving touch.  The women would place my hands where she wanted me to massage.  She was in heaven!! I did massage on many people and then came across a women in the corner who was skin and bones.  At first she waved no to me but later after lunch was served I wanted to make it a point to go back and see her to make sure she was eating.  She ate very little until the cookies were passed out.  I stayed with her gently massage her legs as I broke the cookie into small enough pieces that she would eat. The women next to her scolded me for what I was wearing.  I was wearing a long skirt that covered everything but my feet and a t-shirt that covered my shoulders.  She still insisted that I should be wearing a wrap such as hers and something that would cover my head.  She was serious but was also laughing at me!  The time spent at the clinic was so rewarding.  These people have NOTHING but thanks to donations from people they are able to have a roof over their head and some food to eat.  I can't wait to go back!!

After, a friend Natalia and I decided that we would wonder.  There had been a Hindu festival going on across the street that had woken us up every morning.  We walked over to peak into the tent and see what was going on.  Two young children came up to us and motioned us inside.  The second we were inside, we were rushed by many people.  They lead us over to the table where we got the "Tika."  This is the red and yellow dot on the forehead and flowers on your head.  The red dot represents life and I can't remember about the yellow.  I would look it up right now but the internet is so slow!  We were lead up to the stage to sit behind the Hindu priest!  They told us we were special guest!  Many people came up to take pictures and video of us.  The priest blessed us, put a scarf around our neck, and handed us a mango and banana!  They announced our names over the microphone and made us dance in front of about 300 people!  It was the biggest rush ever!  We left feeling so blessed.  The people were so friendly and welcoming.  They just wanted to learn about you and America.  I passed out my email address to about 5 people!  It was just such an amazing feeling to feel so welcomed in another country.  I couldn't help but think that something like this would never happen in America.  Definitely a great lesson learned!

We spent the rest of the day shopping in the tourist area called "Thamel."  I wanted everything and definitely indulged!  I couldn't resist.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment